Event & Activity Challenges
Event & Activity challenges allow you to choose a set of events or activities you want to complete in 365 days.
All you have to do is simply choose the events or activities you want to take part in 365 days and decide how you will prepare for them and off you go!
How do I set my event or activity challenge?
- Decide on what events & activities and how many you want to do in 365 days i.e. park runs, park walks, classes at the the gym, 3 peaks challenges, 10k runs, 1/2 marathons, marathons, 1 mile swims, physical events like Tough Mudder etc.
- Work out what you will need to to train and take part in these activities over the course of 365 days.
- Set your training schedule and book your self on these events & activities (if you need to pre register) and off you go!
What events & activities can I do?
Whatever you like as long as it is some form of exercise
How many do I need to do?
Well there is no upper or lower limit but we would recommend if you challenge is event based then having one a month to aim for would be good as it gives you something to work towards all the time to keep you getting regular exercise.
If your challenge in activity based like classes at the gym, cycle rides, walks, park runs etc then decide how many you can do each week as a challnege and multiply it by 52.
Do I need to keep on top of and track my training for these events & activities?
If you want to to keep a track of how much effort and preparation you have put it.
To track them why not use one of the many exercise tracking apps for your smartphone. We have put together a handy guide to the most popular ones HERE to help you out in deciding.
What if you get injured?
Then simply listen to your body, and don’t train while you are injured it if means missing out on an event or activity then so be it as your health comes first. You could always substitute in a different event at a later date or catch up on your activities in future weeks / months.
Indoor and Outdoor training
There are no rules to say that you have to do your training outside so why not make use of your local gym or leisure centre and use the facilities there to prepare.
What if I made my challenge too easy or too hard?
Well of course you can resubmit your challenge to something more suitable just make sure that it is right for you and you are changing it for the right reasons.
Here is an example of an event challenge being taken by one lady who is doing 12 challenges in 12 months which are:
1) Climb Snowdon
2) Run the Swansea half marathon
3) Run the Pembroke half marathon
4) Run the Cardiff half marathon
5) Complete a Tough Mudder event
6) Complete an Invincbl physical event
7) Complete a 10k trail running event
8) Take on the Man vs Horse Challenge
9) Cycle 100 miles
10) Hike to Everest Base Camp
11) Run her 1st marathon distance
12) Swim a mile (65 lengths of a 25m pool)
Here is an example of an activity based challenge being taken on.
One person has set herself the target of going to 4 classes at her local Gym every week. She really enjoys Spin, Body Pump and Body Combat so her challenge is to go to these classes a total of 208 times in 365 days. If she cant make them then she will try the other classes the gym has to offer to keep to her challenge target and if she needs to make up her classes then she will go in the morning and the evening to get back on track!
As you can see these challenges are completely adaptable and enable you to work with them in your life and can also push you to really surprise yourself!
A few things to remember though!
1) It’s supposed to be fun so don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
2) Exercise Safe, so if its dark outside consider where you are exercising to ensure its safe, use the gym as an alternative in winter when its dark!
3) Exercise Sensible, don’t exercise if you are injured and make sure you rest until you are healthy again.
4) Make sure that you consult your doctor before taking on an exercise related challenge!
If you are unsure of anything or have any questions please just email us at email@example.com and we will help you out!